Step 1. I looked online to find out how big it should be and how long to make the card slot. Most cards can fit through a 6″ slot, so I made it 7″, to be safe. I made a list of things I would need: boxes, an X-acto knife, my hot glue gun, lots of hot glue & tacky glue (maybe even fabric glue), rhinestones for around the card slot, thick white ribbon for the 2nd tier, a white silk flower, thin white ribbon to hang down from the flower, good scissors and purple fabric. I thought that the boxes should be about 10×10″ and 12×12″, if there were 2 tiers.
Step 2. I knew she had initially liked the 2-tiered version, but was also open to 3 tiers. I got 3 different-sized square boxes, and sent her pictures so she could pick. On the left (above) is the medium and small size, in the middle is the medium and large size, and on the right, you can see all 3- which we decided looked best!
Step 3. I went shopping! I found both types of ribbon and the flower at Michaels, as well as the little stick-on grey pearls you see below. The pearls were a last-minute addition (found on clearance for $.99) that could easily be removed if Amber didn’t like them. The flower had a weird center, so I ended up cutting it out, and adding a pretty, sparkly brooch pin to the middle (also found at Michaels). While browsing at AC Moore, I grabbed an X-acto knife and hot glue. I looked at a few fabric options at Walmart, but ended up with a winner at JoAnn Fabric, plus I found a coupon on RetailMeNot (btw, you should get this app on your phone and check it before you check out ANYWHERE!) for 50% off, so the fabric was the most expensive part at about $24.00, but I got 3 yards of it,which was plenty for the boxes and for backing 6 little framed signs for around the reception.
Step 4. I got to work! If you see the pictures above, you’ll notice that initially, these 3 boxes’ lids did not cover the same amount of the box, and I wanted it to look even, so I undid the lids, cut them down, glued them back together and stuck them back on. Warning: If you do this, be sure the lid fits with a little room to spare before adding fabric! You don’t want to finish covering a box and lid only to find that the lid won’t go on.
I did all of my cutting before adding fabric to any of the layers. This included the slot on top, which was 7″x.5″and centered on top. Another option is to put the slot on the front, but I checked with the bride and she preferred the top. It also included cutting holes between the layers so the cards drop straight down. I left about an inch border around the base of the top and middle boxes, and cut the same size square out of the lid of the layer beneath.
I should also mention here that the boxes I got were sort of flimsy, so I cut up a cardbox box and glued it to some of the panels on the inside for some extra support. This may not have been a necessary step, but I didn’t want to finish and have the bottom or middle layer caving in.
Step 7. Decorating! This was the most fun and rewarding step, hands down! The rhinestones that I found for the slot at Michaels were actually a strip of adhesive with bling attached, which made it SO easy to go along the perimeter. I used the glue gun to overlap the thick ribbon right where the flower would go, then glued the thin ribbon on before gluing the flower. I played with the option of adding the pearls to the base layer, and it worked!